Subject: Re: magic symlinks: uid keyword translation
To: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/30/2006 12:13:10
On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 11:34:16AM -0500, Chapman Flack wrote:

> Some months ago when I inquired about adding @booted_kernel,
> the sense I got from the discussion was that the whole idea
> of magic symlinks had some strong opposition (which probably
> in part explained the change from per-mount to sysctl-global,
> as a way of encouraging the feature to just fade away :) .

It certainly doesn't have strong opposition from me.  I use it all
the time and find it invaluable.

However, having the kernel magically create links like the one you
are asking for is something I consider repugnant; doubly so when
we have a filesystem (kernfs) that could provide the same information
in a cleaner way.