Subject: Re: magic symlinks: uid keyword translation
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/30/2006 12:09:59
Chuck Silvers wrote:
> see the discussion of PR 30664 for why this is better as a system-wide knob.

Ah, there was the discussion I wanted to see.
It is interesting--but I also share yamt's concern about
the full-blown magicnames - what the devil do you say to
the poor user who's just innocently created a file with
an @ in its name and can't figure out what broke - or
who's downloaded and unpacked some tarball that contains
such names, and so on?

I tend to agree with der Mouse that there needs to be some
property of a path component that you must deliberately set
if you want the component interpreted that way. The sticky
bit looks like it could work for the case where the component
is a symlink. What would be the corresponding marker for
the general case?

-Chap