Subject: Re: magic symlinks: uid keyword translation
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/30/2006 11:58:39
der Mouse wrote:
> discussion).  When not marked in some way to distinguish them from
> normal symlinks which just happen to contain the variable-substitute
> syntax in their link-to strings, I oppose them strongly myself.  But
> with suitable marking (and I don't consider even FS-wide, much less
> system-wide, suitable), I rather like them.

In that case, the sticky-bit suggestion ought to
satisfy your desire for a way to mark them. I, too, think
that per-link makes more sense than per-FS, and much more
sense than per-system, which is why it surprised me to learn
that it had been per-FS and changed to per-system. It would
be great to hear from someone who can recall the reasoning
on that side.

-Chap