Subject: Re: magic symlinks: uid keyword translation
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/30/2006 08:56:32
On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 03:20:33PM +0100, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 03:54:18PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Elad Efrat wrote:
> > > maybe if the magic symlinks had a man-page,
> >
> > See symlink(7), which is wrong (it talks about a nonexistent mount
> > option), but at least it's a start.  magiclinks probably should be a
> > mount option rather than a global sysctl.
>
> It _used_ to be a per-fs mount option.  It was changed to a global knob,
> apparently without a documentation update.  chs mentions a discussion on
> tech-kern, but without proper reference I'm not sure where exactly the
> decision was made.

see the discussion of PR 30664 for why this is better as a system-wide knob.

I did update several manpages for this change, apparently I missed one.
if someone could update the symlink one I'd appreciate it.
if someone could finish the work to move from magiclinks to magicnames
that would be even better.  :-)

-Chuck