Subject: Re: device attachement detection from userland
To: Jachym Holecek <freza@dspfpga.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/27/2006 15:46:29
On Oct 14, 2006, at 5:49 PM, Jachym Holecek wrote:

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond.  I have had a ton of
things going on lately.

> I think with current state of autoconf(9) the code is fairly OK. We'd
> need to move relevant members of <foo>_attach_args to locators and
> maybe
> replace cf_loc with property lists to get somewhat better.
>
> So, I'd wait for Jason to comment on this as I don't exactly recall
> his
> concerns.

My main concerns are:

- Format of the data -- We now have plists, and should use them.  The
format send down to user space should be the same format as device
drivers (eventually) get for their attachment information.

- Related, I'm concerned about plugging into the "print" hook for this.

Basically, you're right on the money about "replace cf_loc with
property lists to get somewhat better" :-)

-- thorpej