Subject: re: Removig generic optstr_get
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/26/2006 07:50:06

   > all that information is easily given on the linux kernel command line.
   > that's where i don't want to be hand-typing plists.

   I don't think anyone's asking you to type plists.  I think the
   argument being made here is that the boot loader ought to convert the
   arguments from whatever format it finds convenient INTO a plist that
   is then handed off to the kernel.  This would be a nice way to handle
   e.g. the bootinfo stuff that many ports currently have.

yeah, that's all cool.

but the generic optstr_get() code under discussion would be useful
for both bootloaders *and* the kernel, in my desired future, so
moving it to i386 specific code seems suboptimal.

.mrg.