Subject: Re: Removig generic optstr_get
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/25/2006 13:15:15
On 10/25/06, Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 01:36:25AM +0200, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 09:17:18AM +1000, matthew green wrote:
> > >
> > >    > Is there a real need for this change? I would prefer leaving things as
> > >    > they are now.
> > >    >
> > >    > (We might want to support richer boot parameters with other boot methods
> > >    > than Multiboot one day.)
> > >
> > >    And proplib will still be there for that.
> > >

> > > you want me to type plists on the command line?
> >
> > Yes, please.  Thanks for volunteering.
>
> But more seriously, parsing a=b c=d strings handed to us by random
> platform bootloader or environment strings *into* plists in memory,
> for consumption by MI or almost-MI configuration code, might be a good
> idea.

That sounds good, yes.  But in that case, it might be better if the
conversion was done by the bootloader itself, isn't it?  This way the
user could be able to manually provide a plist if he wanted to for
whatever reason (complex data structures that can't be clearly
expressed as a single "options string"?).

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/