Subject: Re: Log area on-disk for the journal
To: Michael van Elst <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/23/2006 13:21:33

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 08:59:08PM +0200, Michael van Elst wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 11:25:08AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> >=20
> > >True, the journal would be lost.
> >=20
> > It's not just the journal -- if you can't recover the journal, you =20
> > can't even be sure that the file system is fsck'able.
> So how does the rest of the world do it?

They probably have hooks and steps to cover the problems we're talking=20

For what you mentioned Solaris does, we could make journaling a mount=20
option. You create a file system with a journal but leave it empty. Then=20
just do all your operations meta-data-synchronous, and all's well. If it=20
was journaled before but isn't now, just roll the journal forward, and=20
you're fine.

Take care,