Subject: Re: Removing tmpfs' experimental status
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/23/2006 22:18:10
On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 02:21:37PM +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> tmpfs _already_ supports file handles.  But exporting a tmpfs over NFS
> does not work for whatever reason -- can't remember the exact details.

ah, ok, now I understand.

> So, tmpfs should have a way to tell the NFS server code that it has to
> disallow exports of these filesystems.  Now the question is: do we
> really need to be able to do this?  I mean, may other file systems
> benefit from such a feature (supporting file handles but not wanting
> to be ever exported)?

I think so - now that yamt has made the changes to the nfs client code
to support fh it is possible for the client to re-export the nfs mount
to another machine.  Traditionally, this has not been allowed and, in
the past, the lack of the fh routines has enforced this.  It is no
longer the case which may disturb some people.

> Or we simply want to fix those file systems
> (tmpfs in my case) to support NFS exportability?

I think that would be nice :)

--
Brett Lymn