Subject: Removing tmpfs' experimental status
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/22/2006 15:59:41
Hello,

[ please CC me any replies ]

Several people have suggested to remove the experimental status from
tmpfs so that we can enable it by default in our kernels (not in
sysinst, though).  I think it was martin@ who said that this would be
fine but that we first should disable obviously broken functionality
(read NFS support).  That seems wise advice so...

Unless there are serious objections, I'll do this soon so that it can
get into 4.0:
- Change all kernel configurations to remove the 'experimental' status
  from the TMPFS line.
- Enable TMPFS by default on all GENERIC kernels.
- Disable the tmpfs_vfstofh and tmpfs_fhtovfs vfsops so that tmpfs
  does not support exporting.  (I'm making them optional through a
  TMPFS_ENABLE_NFS macro so that people interested in fixing it can
  quickly enable the missing bits.  Of course the macro will go away
  when things work as expected.)
- Add some notes in mount_tmpfs(8) BUGS section to explain this as
  well as some other missing features.

Thanks.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>