Subject: Re: Long delays during bootup in -current
To: None <>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/21/2006 03:29:25 wrote:

> If this is a problem for some of the arches than may be we should
> reconsider the requirements of where MD code should enable the
> interrupts?

I checked 4.4BSD Lite2 sources, then I notice:
- configure() is called from cpu_startup() (which is called from main())
- initclocks() (which will call cpu_initclocks(9)) is called from main()
- there are several initialization and functions between cpu_startup()
  and initclocks()
  (but I'm not sure if there is anything which requires hardware interrupts)

Nowadays, configure() becomes MI and is called from main(),
confiugre() calls MD cpu_configure(), and initclocks() is
a part of configure() (and it's called right after cpu_configure()),
so I guess the requirements noted in the cpu_configure(9) man page
have been changed...
Izumi Tsutsui