Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/sys/secmodel/bsd44
To: Elad Efrat <elad@NetBSD.org>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/17/2006 00:56:27
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 12:14:31PM +0200, Elad Efrat wrote:

> Ah. :) I already did, a while ago, and the impression I received was
> that what these "passthru" calls do is basically raw access to kernel
> memory and/or disk in some of the cases.

I'm not sure what the issue at hand is, but: the SCSI/RAID pass through
interfaces that I had involvement with allow I/O directly to disks. Also
since we can't trust either the firmware or the user-space consumers, we
can't rule out the possibility that the interfaces could be used to access
physical memory.

Thanks,
Andrew