Subject: Re: device attachement detection from userland
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/16/2006 11:39:52
Hi,

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 11:32:10AM +0200, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:

> > The tricky part however is: how do you manage removal of the device?
>
> You can mount with synchronous I/O, and umount -f when the device gets
> removed. Won't that work?

You'll destroy flash devices really fast that way...

Just a reminder:

AmigaOS (the DOS part) used to:

- remind you to insert a volume into any drive when you accessed it for
  reading/writing and it wasn't available

- remind you to insert a volume INTO (the) DRIVE ${where it was before,}
  (dammit, right now!) if some metadata weren't written yet when you removed
  it.

(And the drives' busy lights were kept on as long as the 2nd condition
 would be otherwise triggered, and users were taught - if they read the
 documentation - to not extract floppies^Wremovable media as long as the
 lights were busy).

Maybe something like this would be doable for us, too? [I have no idea.]

Regards,
	-is
--
seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/