Subject: Re: device attachement detection from userland
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Kirby <mark@coris.org.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/14/2006 09:21:09
On Saturday 14 October 2006 08:59, you wrote:
> Hi
>
> Maybe I missed some important points, but it seems to me that removable
> devices automounts in today's NetBSD can be improved. amd is a pain, and
> I'd like to have something more reliable that does not hang interactive
> commands because something went wrong)
>
> In an ideal world, an userland daemon could be notified that a new
> device has been attached, and do the nescessary steps for automounting
> filesystems. kqueue seems the right tool for doing that, but as I
> understand, that has not been done yet.
>
> I'm willing to do the work, or help completing it. Is there anyone
> already working on this? Is there any plan, or should I draft something
> out of my mind?

I have been trying to work on a generic userland notification framework, i
also think Jeff Rizo was working on something similar.

I was hoping to get something up to allow us to port HAL to NetBSD. My
framework was based (loosely) on FreeBSD's devctl implementation.

This would allow us to notify userland of any kernel event not just device
attatchment.

Unfortunately it is slow going as i'm no C coder and i have just started a new
job. Im certainly willing to help design, code, test this if you want my
help.

Mark
--
http://digest.coris.org.uk NetBSD CVS Digest