Subject: Re: root configuration with multiple root-enabled RAID sets
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/11/2006 15:01:41
Emmanuel Dreyfus writes:

> The situation: I have a machine with multiple RAID sets, several sets are
> configured as root capables.
>
> That causes rf_buildroothack() to set RB_ASKNAME so that the admin can
> decide which root should be used.
>
> IMO this is a wrong behavior, as this will cause setroot() to ignore
> a root specification hardcoded in the kernel config file: if I build
> a kernel with "root at raid0a type ffs dumps on raid0b", it will
> still ask me for the root.
[snip]
> Is it okay to commit that?

Do you have a patch against a more recent -current, and that doesn't
have extra changes?

I need to think about this a bit more... the idea with "raidctl -A
root" was that there would only ever be *one* RAID set configured
that way, per machine.  If one needed to switch from one "root RAID"
to another, then one would, for example, do "raidctl -A yes raid0 ;
raidctl -A root raid1" to switch from raid0 to raid1....  I didn't
see this as an operation that would typically happen... but maybe
I need to re-think that...  (e.g. if something is hardwired in the
kernel config, then we shouldn't even need to figure out what real
disk the kernel came from -- we should just use the specified disk!)

Thanks.

Later...

Greg Oster