Subject: Re: p_flag in struct proc: int -> uint64_t
To: None <elad@NetBSD.org>
From: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/04/2006 01:31:13
--NextPart-20061004011314-1565600

> > Another option would be to provide some generic way for various
> > subsystems to extend the data associated with a process on an as-needed
> > basis... oh, hey, we could add a properties dictionary to the proc
> > structure to get that! :-)
>
> That is... a good idea, actually. But I think you'll have to get more
> than just *my* agreement to proceed with it. :)

although a dictionary in the proc structure might be useful for
some purposes, i'm not sure if i like it as a replacement of
simple integer or pointer members.  it seems overkill to me.

i have an implementation of lwp-specific data.
(attached.  i wrote it to replace l_emuldata, l_savp, etc.)
proc-specific data can be similar except locking.

YAMAMOTO Takashi

--NextPart-20061004011314-1565600

/*	$NetBSD$	*/

/*-
 * Copyright (c)2006 YAMAMOTO Takashi,
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
 * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
 * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
 * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
 * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
 * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
 * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
 * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
 * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
 * SUCH DAMAGE.
 */

#ifndef _SYS_LWPSPECIFIC_H_
#define	_SYS_LWPSPECIFIC_H_

typedef int lwpspecific_key_t;

typedef void (*lwpspecific_dtor_t)(void *);

lwpspecific_key_t lwpspecific_key_alloc(lwpspecific_dtor_t);
void lwpspecific_key_free(lwpspecific_key_t);

void *lwpspecific_get(lwpspecific_key_t);
void lwpspecific_set(lwpspecific_key_t, void *);

struct lwp;
void *lwpspecific_get_remote(struct lwp *, lwpspecific_key_t);
void lwpspecific_set_remote(struct lwp *, lwpspecific_key_t, void *);

void lwpspecific_lwp_exit(void);

#endif /* !_SYS_LWPSPECIFIC_H_ */

[...]

#include <sys/cdefs.h>
__KERNEL_RCSID(0, "$NetBSD$");

#include <sys/param.h>
#include <sys/proc.h>
#include <sys/queue.h>
#include <sys/lock.h>
#include <sys/lwpspecific.h>
#include <sys/kmem.h>

typedef struct lwpspecific_key_impl {
	lwpspecific_dtor_t lki_dtor;
} lwpspecific_key_impl_t;

typedef struct lwpspecific {
	size_t ls_nkey;
	LIST_ENTRY(lwpspecific) ls_list;
	void *ls_data[];
} lwpspecific_t;

#define	LWPSPECIFIC__BYTESIZE(sz) \
	(sizeof(lwpspecific_t) + (sz) * sizeof(void *))

static struct lock lwpspecific__lock =
    LOCK_INITIALIZER(PLOCK, "lwpspecific", 0, 0);
static int lwpspecific__nkey;
static LIST_HEAD(, lwpspecific) lwpspecific__alllist =
    LIST_HEAD_INITIALIZER(lwpspecific__alllist);
static lwpspecific_key_impl_t *lwpspecific__keys;

static void
lwpspecific__mutex_enter(void)
{

	ASSERT_SLEEPABLE(NULL, __func__);
	lockmgr(&lwpspecific__lock, LK_EXCLUSIVE, 0);
}

static void
lwpspecific__mutex_exit(void)
{

	lockmgr(&lwpspecific__lock, LK_RELEASE, 0);
}

static void
lwpspecific__link(lwpspecific_t *ls)
{

	LIST_INSERT_HEAD(&lwpspecific__alllist, ls, ls_list);
}

static void
lwpspecific__unlink(lwpspecific_t *ls)
{

	LIST_REMOVE(ls, ls_list);
}

static void
lwpspecific__destroy(lwpspecific_t *ls, lwpspecific_key_t key)
{
	lwpspecific_dtor_t dtor;
	void *data;

	if (key >= ls->ls_nkey) {
		return;
	}
	data = ls->ls_data[key];
	dtor = lwpspecific__keys[key].lki_dtor;
	if (dtor != NULL) {
		if (data != NULL) {
			ls->ls_data[key] = NULL;
			(*dtor)(data);
		}
	} else {
		KASSERT(data == NULL);
	}
}

static void
lwpspecific__noop_dtor(void *data)
{

	/* nothing */
}

/*
 * lwpspecific_key_alloc: allocate a key.
 *
 * supposed to be a very rare operation.
 */

lwpspecific_key_t
lwpspecific_key_alloc(lwpspecific_dtor_t dtor)
{
	lwpspecific_key_impl_t *newkeys;
	lwpspecific_key_t key;
	size_t nsz;

	ASSERT_SLEEPABLE(NULL, __func__);
	if (dtor == NULL) {
		dtor = lwpspecific__noop_dtor;
	}
	lwpspecific__mutex_enter();
	if (lwpspecific__keys == NULL) {
		goto needalloc;
	}
	for (key = 0; key < lwpspecific__nkey; key++) {
		if (lwpspecific__keys[key].lki_dtor == NULL) {
			goto gotit;
		}
	}
needalloc:
	nsz = (lwpspecific__nkey + 1) * sizeof(lwpspecific_key_impl_t);
	newkeys = kmem_zalloc(nsz, KM_SLEEP);
	if (lwpspecific__keys != NULL) {
		size_t osz = lwpspecific__nkey * sizeof(lwpspecific_key_impl_t);

		memcpy(newkeys, lwpspecific__keys, osz);
		kmem_free(lwpspecific__keys, osz);
	}
	lwpspecific__keys = newkeys;
	key = lwpspecific__nkey;
	lwpspecific__nkey++;
gotit:
	lwpspecific__keys[key].lki_dtor = dtor;
	lwpspecific__mutex_exit();
	return key;
}

/*
 * lwpspecific_key_free: free a key.
 *
 * supposed to be a very rare operation.
 */

void
lwpspecific_key_free(lwpspecific_key_t key)
{
	lwpspecific_t *ls;

	lwpspecific__mutex_enter();

	/*
	 * traverse all lwp specific data in the system.
	 */

	LIST_FOREACH(ls, &lwpspecific__alllist, ls_list) {
		lwpspecific__destroy(ls, key);
	}
	lwpspecific__mutex_exit();
}

/*
 * lwpspecific_get_remote:
 *
 * => caller must ensure to exclude concurrent accesses.
 */

void *
lwpspecific_get_remote(struct lwp *l, lwpspecific_key_t key)
{
	lwpspecific_t *ls;

	ls = l->l_specific;
	if (ls != NULL && key < ls->ls_nkey) {
		return ls->ls_data[key];
	}
	return NULL;
}

/*
 * lwpspecific_get: get curlwp's lwp specific data for the given key.
 */

void *
lwpspecific_get(lwpspecific_key_t key)
{

	return lwpspecific_get_remote(curlwp, key);
}

/*
 * lwpspecific_set_remote:
 *
 * => caller must ensure to exclude concurrent accesses.
 */

void
lwpspecific_set_remote(struct lwp *l, lwpspecific_key_t key, void *data)
{
	lwpspecific_t *ls;
	lwpspecific_t *newls;
	int newnkey;
	size_t sz;

	ASSERT_SLEEPABLE(NULL, __func__);
	ls = l->l_specific;
	if (__predict_true(ls != NULL && key < ls->ls_nkey)) {
		ls->ls_data[key] = data;
		return;
	}

	/* slow path: need to resize */
	lwpspecific__mutex_enter();
	newnkey = lwpspecific__nkey;
	if (key >= newnkey) {
		lwpspecific__mutex_exit();
		panic("lwpspecific_set");
	}
	sz = LWPSPECIFIC__BYTESIZE(newnkey);
	newls = kmem_zalloc(sz, KM_SLEEP);
	newls->ls_nkey = newnkey;
	if (ls != NULL) {
		lwpspecific__unlink(ls);
		memcpy(newls->ls_data, ls->ls_data, ls->ls_nkey);
		kmem_free(ls, LWPSPECIFIC__BYTESIZE(ls->ls_nkey));
	}
	newls->ls_data[key] = data;
	lwpspecific__link(newls);
	l->l_specific = newls;
	lwpspecific__mutex_exit();
}

/*
 * lwpspecific_set: set curlwp's lwp specific data for the given key.
 */

void
lwpspecific_set(lwpspecific_key_t key, void *data)
{

	lwpspecific_set_remote(curlwp, key, data);
}

/*
 * lwpspecific_lwp_exit: free lwp specific data on lwp exit.
 */

void
lwpspecific_lwp_exit(void)
{
	struct lwp *l;
	lwpspecific_t *ls;
	lwpspecific_key_t key;

	ASSERT_SLEEPABLE(NULL, __func__);
	l = curlwp;
	ls = l->l_specific;
	if (ls == NULL) {
		return;
	}
	l->l_specific = NULL;
	lwpspecific__mutex_enter();
	lwpspecific__unlink(ls);
	for (key = 0; key < ls->ls_nkey; key++) {
		lwpspecific__destroy(ls, key);
	}
	lwpspecific__mutex_exit();