Subject: Re: Journaling for FFS
To: M J Fleming <scs5mjf@comp.leeds.ac.uk>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/02/2006 10:34:16
On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 23:38:43 +0100
M J Fleming <scs5mjf@comp.leeds.ac.uk> wrote:

> I understand that this year's Google Summer of Code project to provide
> journaling support to FFS wasn't successful, however I feel that the
> project is worthwhile and would love to see it come to fruition.
Well. As we now have an, at least in -current, working LFS, I sugest to
concentrate efforts on LFS. LFS will give you better performance then
FFS with the instant crash recovery a journaled FFS would deliver.

I found LFS to be stable in day to day operation, including bad
situations like nearly full file systems and crashes. (The crashes where
not caused by LFS.) AFAIK there are some issues with resize_lfs(8) and
there are no snapshots. If you wane spend some time with NetBSD working
on a file system, I sugest to invest your energy into LFS.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen