Subject: A proposal on how to further handle ports
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org, tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Dennis den Brok <d.den.brok@uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/26/2006 10:09:25
Maybe one could do the following in order to reduce the
pain developers appear to have with keeping old or exotic
ports up with architectural changes applied to MI code,
such as time-counters recently (which despite of what will
be said I consider a change still also useful for the
ports that will be mentioned):

If a certain port of NetBSD has proven mature and the
underlying platform is not subject to changes anymore, for
instance because it is discontinued vendor-wise, move(!)
the MD code for it to a new branch, along with a copy of
all MI code that builds and works for that platform. Try
to fix remaining issues, maybe do a platform-specific
release, and from then on, only pull up fixes for bugs and
security flaws.

I think there are already numerous ports that would
qualify for being handled that way. Also note that such
ports aren't being degraded to "abandoned"; their state is
rather uplifted to "completed, yet supported" (now _that_
sounds like something I would install on my pet
hardware!).

To keep this short, I won't elaborate further on this
matter. I suppose the advantages and disadvantages of this
approach that came to my non-developer mind immediately
occur to yours as well. If it turns out that I have been
missing serious points when writing this proposal, it
won't hurt me much if it is ignored or flamed to the
ground. (In fact, I have turned away from playing with
hard- and software and am happily running NetBSD as the
only OS on the only computer in my tiny home ever since,
thus don't care much about further changes to NetBSD as I
don't intend to change running systems anymore. I just
enjoy tracking NetBSD's development via mailing-lists,
and, in this case, felt like contributing an idea to what
read like a rather important issue.)

Best regards,

Dennis den Brok