Subject: Re: Further scheduler changes
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/19/2006 06:33:29
Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>> I think it would be cool.  Solaris' scheduler framework is very nice,
>> and one of the things they do is have an "interactive" scheduler class,
>> where the top most window (whatever has focus) gets a slight priority
>> bump.
>
> I wondered about this some time ago: how would  you do this - hack
> your (every?!) window manager to interact with the scheduler? Or go to
> the X layer, to talk to the scheduler when a window is exposed?
>
> In any way, having this abstraction work would be nice!
>

>  - Hubert

To be honest, I've never looked at the Solaris implementation much.
Scheduling just didn't hold enough interest for me. :-)  But some
enterprising individual could look at the OpenSolaris sources to see how
it is done... :-)

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191