Subject: Re: VOP_READ with IO_EXT versus VOP_GETEXTATTR
To: None <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/18/2006 10:45:48

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 01:20:23AM +0200, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> Dear folks,
> i'm puzzled about the IO_EXT flag in the ioflags passed to VOP_READ and=
> VOP_WRITE. It states that is an operation on extended attributes. But isn=
't =20
> VOP_GETEXTATTR defined for?

Ask Jason. As cvs blame indicates, he added both at around the same time,=
nearly two years ago.

It looks like FreeBSD plans to eventually have VOP_READ() with IO_EXT get=
redirected to a getattr call, however the latest code is:

	if (ap->a_ioflag & IO_EXT)
#ifdef notyet
		return (ffs_extread(vp, uio, ioflag));

> Or should i read the IO_EXT flag as operating on sub-files? but then=20
> VOP_READDIR should have a flag too... and i can't find that one.

No, I don't think VOP_READDIR should have such a flag. If you're reading a=
directory, you are reading the directory. Don't add subfiles to=20
directories, until we find a semantic that really can't be handled=20

Take care,