Subject: Re: [Fwd: a proposal for next major (5.x)]
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/07/2006 10:25:36
Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 10:00:40 -0700, "Garrett D'Amore"
> <garrett_damore@tadpole.com> wrote:
>

>> FYI, I just sent this proposal to core for consideration.  Those of you
>> who have ports that have not kept up with the features table at
>> http://www.netbsd.org/developers/features might want to take this time
>> to figure out if any of those issues can be tackled.
>>
>> I'm especially keen to get all the ports converted to timecounters and
>> generic-todr.
>>

> I think there are some other points that are implicit in your note....
>
> (a) #ifdef is *evil*.  We use it too much; we should try to avoid using
> it at all.
>
> (b) Our MI coding isn't as "I" as it should be,

Items a & b I thought are self-evident.

> (c) There is a significant cost to important platforms if we insist on
> supporting every last toaster and windmill that could once run NetBSD.

I have claimed this particular note numerous times, but it seems that
there is major disagreement here.  The upshot is that I don't care if we
have old platforms, as long as I don't have to carry around MI baggage
for them.

I do have other opinions, of course.  Like wtf is pdp10 doing in sys/
since it can't even build much less boot (and never has been able to do
either of those), but that's a different issue.

    -- Garrett

> 		--Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/