Subject: Re: [Fwd: a proposal for next major (5.x)]
To: Garrett D'Amore <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/07/2006 13:14:06
On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 10:00:40 -0700, "Garrett D'Amore"
<> wrote:

> FYI, I just sent this proposal to core for consideration.  Those of you
> who have ports that have not kept up with the features table at
> might want to take this time
> to figure out if any of those issues can be tackled.
> I'm especially keen to get all the ports converted to timecounters and
> generic-todr.
I think there are some other points that are implicit in your note....

(a) #ifdef is *evil*.  We use it too much; we should try to avoid using
it at all.

(b) Our MI coding isn't as "I" as it should be,

(c) There is a significant cost to important platforms if we insist on
supporting every last toaster and windmill that could once run NetBSD.

		--Steven M. Bellovin,