Subject: Re: proposal for changes to todr interface
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/06/2006 09:56:57
Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 01:40:53AM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
>
>> I don't think any driver requires rtc_offset adjustment,
>> but the machine itself (or maybe other OSes on it) needs
>> adjustment on reading/storing time regardless of its rtc chip.
>>

> Does the i8254 used e.g. in PCs have a DST flag? That should be
> supported by the common infrastructure.
>
> Joerg

I'm not sure.  One could argue that this could also be handled by
chip-specific driver properties.  I'm not even sure _we_ know DST
information at the point that these routines are called, however.

Maybe it would be best to eliminate the todr_flags and todr_offset from
my proposal, and let chip drivers keep doing it they they have been.  MI
drivers could be designed to use driver properties to pass the need for
this kind of information to them, if it is more convenient.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191