Subject: Re: console device selection
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/02/2006 08:57:28
On 2-Sep-06, at 3:32 AM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Given this, how do folks feel about having wscons have this framework
> for selecting console devices?  It would mean tweaking a bunch of
> console devices.  But it would solve/cleanup the problem.  As we are
> getting more and more devices that can be console devices, it seems
> like
> we need a unified way to select amongst them, especially as many of
> these devices are potentially on expansion busses.

Yes, please. This has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time.

One comment about struct cons_device:

     int (*initialize)(void);

This will need to take parameters. MD code may need to pass bus tags/
handles to an MI driver (as is the case for vga), or in a more
extreme case (igsfb_pci) it also needs a pci_chipset_tag_t, and the
PCI bus/device/function numbers of the device. Not sure what other
devices might need..

Cheers,
Jared