Subject: Re: /dev/random without random sources blocking forever?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/22/2006 14:22:19
--IrhDeMKUP4DT/M7F

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 08:28:06PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> To be honest, does it make sense for you to be able to open /dev/random=
=20
> without any real entropy sources available?=20

possibly not, ENXIO or something might be more sensible, but..

> Userland can't add entropy sources

Yes, it can.

 * rndctl can enable sources that are disabled by default, such as
   network interfaces.  This could unblock random some time later.=20

 * root can also feed data into the pool, though this won't affect the
   estimator and unblock random, it will reseed urandom.

 * the user to plug in a device (eg, usb mouse or disk) as a source.

 * it might also be possible for userland to load an LKM that
   added a source

Perhaps we should enable network sources by default if no others are
available, or just by default always.

--
Dan.
--IrhDeMKUP4DT/M7F