Subject: Re: btdev(4) hard-coded limit
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/21/2006 13:31:43
On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Quentin Garnier wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 10:02:02PM +0200, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > We have a very small window of opportunity to make things right before
> > 4.0_BETA is too advanced so we could forget about binary compatibility.
> > Very soon we'd have to have compatibility support...
>
> So, actually, it's very easy to keep compatibility as long as we keep
> the structure of the dictionary in the plist.

This was one reason I moved to plist configuration. Its fairly easy to
version a dictionary (add "btdev-version=2")

> As long as we have a name to pass to btdev_ioctl() to have the device
> later identified for BTDEV_DETACH, we're ok.

A read/write version of the prop ioctl is in the works, which will enable
device names to be returned if necessary.

> We could for example allow the user to name the entries in the config
> file.

In fact the mechanism is already in position. You can specify an alias for
a bluetooth address (/etc/bluetooth/hosts) and the service has a name. So,
to refer to the hid service on your logitech device you just need to use
"-a logitech -s hid". I would prefer not to invent another namespace to
refer to configured devices if possible.

iain