Subject: btdev(4) hard-coded limit
To: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/21/2006 12:24:31
--XX8Y6mwLxgvm1ndS

On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 10:02:02PM +0200, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 08:13:38PM +0100, Iain Hibbert wrote:
[...]
> > I will have to think about this some though, because it would throw up
> > other issues (currently, the stored configuration is also based around =
the
> > btdevN and I would have to redesign it)

I've looked at the code.  It's actually not really based around the
btdevN name...  Which is nice!  Mmmm, proplib.

> We have a very small window of opportunity to make things right before
> 4.0_BETA is too advanced so we could forget about binary compatibility.
> Very soon we'd have to have compatibility support...

So, actually, it's very easy to keep compatibility as long as we keep
the structure of the dictionary in the plist.

As long as we have a name to pass to btdev_ioctl() to have the device
later identified for BTDEV_DETACH, we're ok.

We could for example allow the user to name the entries in the config
file.

E.g, "btdevctl logitech_kbd attach", after a "btdevctl logitech_kbd
query ...".  That way there is nothing to do to keep compatibility with
btdevN naming.  Of course we might also want to allow the user to not
provide a name first, and get one by default, headset0, mouse1, etc.

I'll try writing code to do all that as well as getting my hands on a
set of bluetooth devices in order to test.  But at least we don't have
to hurry to avoid the burden of providing compatibility.

--=20

--XX8Y6mwLxgvm1ndS

--XX8Y6mwLxgvm1ndS--