Subject: a line discipline for key-up/-down events
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/05/2006 03:31:01
I want to control UNIX terminal programs with key-up/-down events, no
matter whether they run on the console, in an xterm, or in an ssh session.

It appears there is no existing terminal line discipline where a
(pseudo-)terminal passes key-up/-down events to a process.  I will need
to add a new termios(4) input processing flag---IKEYUP, say---to activate
the events.  Finally, I will need to set the key-up/-down events apart
from "normal" input using, say, an escape sequence such as "\377\1".
Make sense?

I was surprised that I could found no prior art with Google.  Let me know
if someone has added key-up/-down events to a UNIX terminal driver before.

Dave