Subject: NOTE_LOCK?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Edgar =?iso-8859-1?B?RnXf?= <efnbl06@bn2.maus.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/27/2006 18:31:06
I know that talking to oneself is a sign of impending mental collapse.

> I'm not sure I want to rewrite this [the server part of lockd].
I've thought a bit more about it. It doesn't seem to be too complicated
as long as you don't care about local locks on the server itself, but gets
more elaborate if you try to do (as the current implementation does).

The problem is that I don't know of a way to wait for a lock to become
available in an event-driven way and don't think its especially elegant
to have subprocesses or threads handling that case.

Would you think something like NOTE_LOCK would make sense?

Or an interface to lf_advlock() letting me take a lock on behalf of a
remote process?