Subject: Re: ugen change for review (try 2)
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/23/2006 21:56:41
Lennart Augustsson wrote:

> On Jul 21, 2006, at 12:27 , Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>

>> IANAL, but my understanding is that "All rights reserved." means that
>> any rights _not_ provided for in the license are retained by the
>> copyright holder.   Its not uncommon to see this sentence just above the
>> meat of a BSD license.  TNF does it as well.
>
> So this is not the explanation I've heard.  In all countries that have
> signed the international copyright agreement the (c) is enough.

I'm not disagreeing here.  I think it is redundant under the Berne
Convention.  I didn't even think you needed the (c) though -- I always
thought that a work was copyrighted and all rights reserved unless
explicit license otherwise (or grant of IP e.g. to the public domain)
was asserted.

> The "All rights reserved." makes no difference.  It used to make a
> difference in certain Latin American countries in the past.

Hmmm.. that would explain it.  I always thought it was just paranoid
lawyers.  :-)

    -- Garrett

> But I'm also not a lawyer, so I don't really know. :)
>
>   -- Lennart

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191