Subject: Re: adding creds to sockets
To: None <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/21/2006 11:59:56

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 01:43:02PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 01:41:01AM +0200, Elad Efrat wrote:
> > hi,
> >=20
> > i'd like to commit attached patch. it adds so_cred to struct socket, so
> > the owner of the socket is not just a uid in uidinfo (ugh) but actual
> > credentials, from the process creating the socket.
> >=20
> > comments?
> Two questions:
> 1 Is so_cred used anywhere in the kernel?  And, if so/not

Also, what exactly does so_cred mean?

In my head, credentials are things that are used by processes to do
things, or credentials are used by kernel services doing things on behalf
of a process or processes; the up-shot is that they are used to do
something on behalf of a person.

What does a socket do on behalf of a user that needs credentials?

I freely admit that it could be needed by other protocols, like ISO.

Take care,