Subject: Re: raidframe: parity dirty with read-only file systems?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/13/2006 12:58:32
"Martin J. Laubach" writes:
> |  that might live on top of a RAID set, RAIDframe is stuck in thinking
> |  that whoever opened a partition might want to write to it... and
> |  thus it gets marked "dirty" as soon as it's opened, and doesn't get
> |  marked "clean" until the last open partition is closed.
>
>   How about marking it dirty only as soon as the first write occurs?

Something like that might work... it'd delay the first write a bit,
but probably would be implemented with just a few lines of code
in raidstrategy()...  (hm... actually, I see now that
rf_markalldirty() is called in a few other places too, not just on
the first open... I need to think about why that might be, and
whether or not those other calls are "extra" and can be removed... )

Later...

Greg Oster