Subject: Re: sudden detach
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/11/2006 21:12:31
David Young wrote:
> I have always considered it a bug in Windows XP that the user has to
> intervene before a device can be removed.  I thought that both USB and
> Cardbus were designed to make a sudden detach possible?  In principle,
> can't a carefully written driver survive a sudden detach?

ISTR the ACPI spec weighs in on this question: any device that is
mentioned in the DSDT may have associated AML methods that are to be
invoked by the OS before the device is physically removed. Granted
most USB or Cardbus devices may be aftermarket additions that are not
mentioned in the DSDT, but it seems that to be compliant in the general
case means that we need a mechanism for interacting with the user when
the DSDT requires it, anyway.

-Chap