Subject: Re: FFS journal
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/11/2006 12:41:17
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > I think it is acceptable and allows to avoid all those nasty VFS/UFS
> > hacks.
>
> What nasty hacks? I've not seen anything that needs to happen at the VFS
> layer, and the only thing we might escape at the UFS layer is "you can't
> look up '/.deleted'". Did I miss something?

Perhaps a magic directory called ".." at the root of the file system
could be used to store stuff that userland should never be able to see.
Lookups of ".." at the root of a file system are already special-cased.
"/../deleted" could be just one consumer of such a magic directory.

--apb (Alan Barrett)