Subject: Re: power management and related concerns
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/05/2006 11:32:55
Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2006, at 8:17 AM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>
>> As far as extensible interface from sysmon to powerd, I rather like the
>> idea of sending property lists, but I would prefer to use some kind of
>> packed format.  I don't want to force the kernel to pack up XML just to
>> send messages to userland.
>
> The packed format is coming eventually.  But the lack of it should NOT
> stop people from adopting it now.  I even have my kernel+userland set
> of routines for marshaling them ready to check in...
>
> -- thorpej

Commit, commit! :-)  Seriously, you had some common ioctl as I recall,
and I can easily see making sysmon use these.

Frankly, I'd also like to use property lists as events generated in
individual drivers, so that the actual sysmon driver can do only minimal
interpretation and just pass up any event it doesn't care about.  ;-)

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191