Subject: Re: FFS journal
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/04/2006 14:27:11
>>> If an application unlinks a file which is opened, the file is not
>>> deleted until it is closed, until that it exists as unnamed.  [...]
>> There is one way in which it can be a problem without journaling: if
>> the filesystem is made read-only after the unlink and before the
>> close.  [...]
> This one could be solved by deleting the file on disk when the
> filesystem is made read-only, I think.

That will "solve" the "problem" of the file remaining.  It will not,
however, preserve the long--standing Unix semantics of continuing to
use open-but-unlinked files.

Now, one could decree that converting a RW filesystem to RO includes
the destruction of any such files.  But it seems better to me to leave
them unlinked and instead make sure the filesystem is not marked clean.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign