Subject: Re: power management and related concerns
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Thomas E. Spanjaard <tgen@netphreax.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/01/2006 15:11:28
--------------enig2F3CC51A4B2841E627D47D72

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 13:18:27 +0000, "Thomas E. Spanjaard"
> <tgen@netphreax.net> wrote:
>>Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>>>	temp=acpitemp	 >70*2	   /bin/shutdown -p now
>>>where the *2 indicates that it has to happen twice in a row.  A few more
>>>frills, like shell variables for each config line -- the 'temp' means that
>>>a script would be run with envstatd_temp set to the value.  A | at the
>>>start of the command would create a pipeline that would be fed the value
>>>on stdin, to permit easy real-time graphing programs.
>>Confusing, using mathematical symbols for other meanings. Isn't the
>>how-many-times-or-how-long (as Jachym Holecek suggested) better off in a
>>separate column (think inetd.conf syntax)? Come to think of it,
>>inetd.conf is a viable example format for this.
> I thought about that; it's certainly one perspective.  Here, though, I
> assumed that it would rarely be used, in which case I'm imposing a burden
> on everything else.  The other option is something like '-n 2', but that
> might be even more confusing.

Hmm, but a crontab is similar to this as well, but allows you to use *
in separate columns (so no binary operator use is associated with the
symbol due to obvious distance between columns) in the case where you
don't want to specify anything specific.

Cheers,
--
         Thomas E. Spanjaard
         tgen@netphreax.net