Subject: Re: power management and related concerns
To: None <tgen@netphreax.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/01/2006 09:30:07
On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 13:18:27 +0000, "Thomas E. Spanjaard"
<tgen@netphreax.net> wrote:

> Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > 	temp=acpitemp	 >70*2	   /bin/shutdown -p now
> >
> > where the *2 indicates that it has to happen twice in a row.  A few more
> > frills, like shell variables for each config line -- the 'temp' means that
> > a script would be run with envstatd_temp set to the value.  A | at the
> > start of the command would create a pipeline that would be fed the value
> > on stdin, to permit easy real-time graphing programs.
>
> Confusing, using mathematical symbols for other meanings. Isn't the
> how-many-times-or-how-long (as Jachym Holecek suggested) better off in a
> separate column (think inetd.conf syntax)? Come to think of it,
> inetd.conf is a viable example format for this.

I thought about that; it's certainly one perspective.  Here, though, I
assumed that it would rarely be used, in which case I'm imposing a burden
on everything else.  The other option is something like '-n 2', but that
might be even more confusing.