Subject: Re: RFH: serial port benchmarking
To: Garrett D'Amore <>
From: Daniel Carosone <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/26/2006 10:44:28

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 08:36:43AM -0700, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> > I did some archeology, and dug up some old machines.  I have something
> > that I think is an 8Mb 33Mhz 486, and that still seems to power on and
> > POST get to the PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE prompt.  I'm not going to get
> > past this for a while, because it has a large-style AT DIN keyboard
> > plug, and I seem to have nothing functional to plug into it now.
> Thanks.  I probably can scrounge a large style->small style keyboard
> adapter.  What I don't know is whether it is for plugging a small
> keyboard in a large hole or vice versa.  I'll check and get back to you.

Heh, thanks, but I finally found one and got past that hurdle last

> > It probably still has some ancient NetBSD, perhaps 0.9-ish era, on the
> > 2x200Mb SCSI disks that seem to still both spin up.  I hope so, that
> > will make the problem of getting code onto it easier.

It seems the BIOS doesn't seem to find/boot from them.  I'll dig up a
CF-IDE adapter or an old hard disk to boot from instead.  The only
other items now lacking are round tuits. I missed the chance to use
the ones I had this weekend and it seems I'm going to have a serious
shortage of more for a while, sorry.