Subject: Re: question about COMPAT_PECOFF and its syscalls.master
To: Pavel Cahyna <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/23/2006 11:30:13

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 02:58:43PM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> Hello,
> I am currently looking at the file src/sys/compat/pecoff/syscalls.master
> and I noticed that when sys_fhstat was versioned, an equvalent change was
> made to this file (see
> Why? Is this file supposed to exactly mirror the native syscalls.master in
> src/sys/kern? And what's its purpose? One would naively=20
> expect to have Windows NT syscalls here, not the NetBSD ones...

My understanding of our windows emulation (PEACE) is that we have DLLs
that reimplement the standard runtime environment using our syscalls. =20
These DLLs are implemented using standard C, using standard libs. So we
end up with a libc.dll and so on. I believe these system calls are for
those compat dlls.

Take care,