Subject: Re: metahook(9)
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/20/2006 11:49:58
On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 09:36:36AM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> We probably should fix this for NFS. The calls are TRIVIAL.

Yes, they did not look hard to do but it was more a case of being told
"use foo" and the only foo I could find was not functional in some
cases - at that point I started to doubt I had the right foo ;)

> Actually, the man page I have for VFS_VPTOFH doesn't restrict it to NFS
> exports. I think the constraint is that NFS-exportable file systems MUST
> support FH<->VP operations, but that other, non exportable, file systems
> may also support them.

OK - it was probably the first line in the section of the man page
concerning that function that did me in "Get a unique NFS file
handle", we probably should s/NFS// for that.

> The biggest issue I see with file handles is that they are variable
> length. For the hashing Elad had in mind, that's not a big deal. For
> storage, it might be. I'm not sure what the best way to approach this is.

Well, there is an upper bound defined - whether that is appropriate or
not, I don't know.

--
Brett Lymn