Subject: Re: com rumblings...
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/16/2006 23:44:26
Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> I wrote:
>

>> it has already happened on wdc(4), which now
>> has multiple bus space handles for each register even though
>> many people had implemented stride ops for their attachments.
>>

> Note there were certain people who complaind that the wdc
> changes broke their ports, including private ones.
> (maybe because missed changes didn't cause compile errors BTW)
> I just thought if we could avoid MD changes we would get less
> compalaints, so I proposed the compatible macros even though
> I knew they were a bit ugly. But if the changes are actually
> necessary, we don't have to hesitate at such compalaints
> but just fix botches.
> ---
> Izumi Tsutsui

I agree, and in fact the change makes "broken" private drivers fail to
compile.  This at some level was originally intentional.  Before I
realized I was going to have to provide some kind of console
compatibility layer.

In any case, no one should be caught too off-guard, and the changes are
easy to adapt to.

And yes, we *need* this change to support com_aubus.c.  (The other
alternative is to keep a totally separate aucom.c, which has its own
problems.)

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191