Subject: Re: com rumblings...
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/15/2006 12:20:21
matthew green wrote:

>    As for performance, I would like a 100 MHz P5 class machine to cope
>    fine with a modem (and a sparc classic to deal with 9600 bps from the
>    Truetime, but you're talking abotu com(4)).  I suspect that's not that
>    too hard, and I don't have any objections to what you are proposing.
>

> FWIW, a sparc classic could handle 38400 easily running
> netbsd a few years ago.

Any system with a reasonable UART FIFO should be able to do this.  Its
probably much more of an issue for i386's with busted UARTs,  where the
full overhead of the interrupt context switch has to be paid for *each*
character transferred.  If I had a SPARC classic, I would have been
happy to test this at higher rates.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191