Subject: Re: com rumblings...
To: Garrett D'Amore <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/15/2006 11:27:44

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 08:46:27AM -0700, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Greg Troxel wrote:
> > Garrett D'Amore <> writes:
> >  =20
> I strongly doubt whether any P5 class machine is going to notice the
> change.  I'm more concerned if folks are running 386's or 486's at <
> 50MHz.  Those machines are also the ones likely to have broken serial
> ports (FIFOless, or busted FIFOs), and most likely to be hurt.  We can
> also talk about m68k class machines running at ~20MHz.

You should also take a look at zstty & friends. Back when I had a Mac=20
IIsi, I had it running at 57600. Things may have changed a bit, but with=20
flow control on, things worked fine. I don't think those drivers have the=
exact indirection model you're talking about, but they were very=20
CPU-constrained and yet managed to get good performance. And there was a=20
chunk of layering going on. :-)

Take care,