Subject: Re: com rumblings...
To: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/15/2006 08:42:46
Gavan Fantom wrote:
> Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>
>> I'm more interested in this for console type activity.   I suspect
>> *most* people only use serial ports for console ports and slower
>> peripheral accesses (signature readers, cash drawers, command channel
>> for other ICs, etc.)
>>

> While that may be true in many cases, I think you'll still find a lot of
> people either regularly or occasionally using modems.
>
> I recently moved house, and before I got DSL in my new house, I was
> heavily reliant on a serial port to connect to a modem.
>
> Also, don't forget that many newer boxes run their consoles at 115200.
> It's also not uncommon to need to transfer data on the console port to
> embedded devices, such as firmware upgrades via XModem, or even kernels.
> And, I've certainly needed to cut&paste uuencoded files into the console
> on occasion.

Fair enough.  I've been running this stuff at 115200 myself, but thats
for a local console.  I don't have a truly slow machine to test it with,
and all my serial ports have FIFOs. :-)
> It wouldn't surprise me if there were people out there using slower
> machines for routers etc, and suddenly finding the need to implement a
> modem could easily result in the modem being attached to the router.

True.   Well, I hope folks will test what I have as soon as I put it up,
so that we can get a sense whether the serial driver performance is hurt
by what I've done, or hurt enough that it impacts the ability to use it
on some machines.

    -- Garrett

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/