Subject: Re: com rumblings...
To: Garrett D'Amore <>
From: Greg Troxel <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/15/2006 08:40:51

Garrett D'Amore <> writes:

> I'm more interested in this for console type activity.   I suspect
> *most* people only use serial ports for console ports and slower
> peripheral accesses (signature readers, cash drawers, command channel
> for other ICs, etc.)

I use serial ports for a 28.8 modem link, to talk to a Garmin GPS
receiver, to talk to a TrueTime XL-DC GPS timing receiver, as well as
console (as the terminal, and the console).   So I think you should
consider that running modems at 115 kbps (on a 56k downlink) is pretty
normal, and people tend to use older machines as gateways.  For me,
older is currently a Thinkpad 600, which is a 233 MHz P5.

As for performance, I would like a 100 MHz P5 class machine to cope
fine with a modem (and a sparc classic to deal with 9600 bps from the
Truetime, but you're talking abotu com(4)).  I suspect that's not that
too hard, and I don't have any objections to what you are proposing.

        Greg Troxel <>