Subject: Re: looking for sata drivers for netbsd 1.5.1
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/13/2006 15:49:55
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 02:30:33PM +0000, Mike M. Volokhov wrote:
> Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk> wrote:
> > You cannot. There have been many changes to the kernel and especially
> > the ATA framework which will prevent that from working.
>
> Just wondering, why it can't work? AFAIU it should be backward
> compatible, or have I missed something?

There have been a *lot* of changes to the ATA framework e.g. invention
of atabus(4). A lot of driver specific code has e.g. been replaced with
common code which doesn't exist in NetBSD 1.5.

And NetBSD 1.5 (and 1.6) still had one large IDE driver which handled
all the IDE hostadapters.  Seperate drivers like piixide(4) or
pcdide(4) didn't exist before NetBSD 2.0.

The kernel itself has changed a lot between NetBSD 1.5 and 3.0, too,
e.g. kqueue, autoconfiguration changes, etc..

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/