Subject: Re: looking for sata drivers for netbsd 1.5.1
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/13/2006 10:48:21
In article <705e9d030606130321n5d52e553h26154de6bfe99b0@mail.gmail.com>,
	"Atchuta Meka" <atchuta.meka@gmail.com> writes:
> I am looking for sata drivers for netbsd 1.5.1. Can you please help
> me with information on how to go about getting it.

There are no SATA drivers available for NetBSD 1.5.x and there will
very likely never any because the release has been declared end of life
several years ago and nobody is working on it anymore.

>  I know the drivers are available for 2.x or 3.x but really in a time
> crunch and want them for netbsd 1.5.1.

Upgrading a machine from NetBSD 1.5.1 to NetBSD 3.0 will take less
time than getting SATA working on that old release. My usual experience
is that it takes about an hour.

You can as quick fix simply try using a NetBSD 3.0 GENERIC kernel with
your 1.5 userland. Certain tools (e.g. "ps" or "top") might not work
but maybe you don't need them.

>  I am not familiar with drivers so, I am wondering if I can take the
> drivers from later releases and use them in the 1.5.1 release.

You cannot. There have been many changes to the kernel and especially
the ATA framework which will prevent that from working.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/