Subject: Re: qtopia
To: Peter Seebach <>
From: Garrett D'Amore <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/06/2006 23:47:29
Peter Seebach wrote:
> In message <>, "Steven M. Bellovin"
> writes:
>> Is there?  I'm skeptical.  If I understand this properly, it's not
>> something one does very often; in the total system scheme of things, it
>> just doesn't matter.
> Well, hey, we have a data point available.
> According to a quick find|xargs file, about 93% of plist files on a Mac OS X
> system are XML text.
> I assume they've documented the bplist format, but I'm not sure how much anyone
> cares in practice.
> -s

For persistent storage, it probably doesn't matter.  What is more
interesting is when you are building up temporary plists and you are
using them as a communication format between kernel and userland (which
is what is being discussed here.)  For such uses you won't find
persistent files in the filesystem.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191