Subject: Re: qtopia
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/06/2006 14:31:44
Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2006, at 12:55 PM, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>
>> shouldn't the pointer be const void *?
>
> No, because the externalized version of the plist is a C string. I
> guess it could be const void * for some future time when we have
> binary plists.
>
> -- thorpej

Regardless of whether or not it is a null-terminated string, as long as
it is to be treated as an opaque byte array, I think char * is
preferable. Void * would be used for something that had some other
structure _other_ than a byte array. But since the consumers of this API
have to shuffle the data around, they need to know the size, and there
is no alignment constraint, so char * is still appropriate, IMO.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191